Tuesday, May 24, 2011

MULATU ASTATKE LIVE @ THE JAZZ CAFE WITH SUPPORT FROM DJ RICHY PITCH, THURSDAY 26TH MAY

This week I'm lucky enough to be DJ'ing before and after the legendary Mulatu Astatke at the Jazz Cafe. I'm a big fan, check the event here by clicking on the pic below.



I probably first discovered his music over a decade ago, through a friend of mine, Geoff Wilkinson (US3 Producer) when he played me one of Mulatu's classics 'Yegelle Tezeta' (1974). Listen to it here:-



Since then I've bought quite a bit of his music, favourites include 'Addis Black Widow', 'Yefikir Tizita', 'Mulatu's Mood' and 'Esketa Dance'. His music is a beautiful fusion of Jazz and influences from his homeland of Ethiopia. Amazing stuff!!

Also, check out my Afromix from 2010, insipired by more quality music from the continent of Africa:-

Afromix! - Various Artists - (Mixed by Richy Pitch) by richypitch

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails