Monday, December 28, 2009

'MYSTIC VOYAGE' - DISCOVERING THE MUSIC OF THE LEGENDARY ROY AYERS : (PART 4)

Record Hunting - finding Roy originals abroad.

I've been lucky enough to go record collecting in the US, Canada and Europe too. In 1993 I went to Vancouver for a month and stayed for much of my time with Lisa Auger, who now coincidently manages the Jazz Cafe. During my time there I was enjoying record collection at local record fairs in Vancouver, walking along Hastings visiting Chinese Second Hand shops and taking longer trips in the car to Seattle to buy more Jazz, Funk, Latin and Soul records. In fact I spent most of my time in Vancouver record collecting.

It was in Vancouver that I managed to find a copy of Mystic Voyage (Polydor, 1975). This LP is probably one of Roy's finest and contained tracks such as the previously mentioned Brother Green and the very funky Life is just a moment Part 2.



But I remember this LP most of all because Lisa loved Take all the Time You need



Interestingly this track was originally written and performed by Ashford and Simpson on their 1974 LP "I Wanna be Selfish" which I only recently found in a second hand shop for $1 in Stowe in Vermont on the Eastern side of the USA.

Click the photo (below) to go on my Facebook page for more info.

http://www.discogs.com/Ashford-Simpson-I-Wanna-Be-Selfish/master/90276

As well as finding out that Mr Ayers had re-invented older versions of songs I also discovered he appeared on other artists Albums, namely Herbie Mann.

I picked this LP up in Seattle on my Vancouver trip in 1993.

Herbie Mann - Live At the Whiskey A Go Go



And I picked this LP up on my last crate digging session along the West Coast of America in 2008, it also features the vibraphone skills of Roy Ayers.

Herbie Mann - Windows Opened

Click the Pic to go to my Facebook page to read a little more about my trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ShareThis

Related Posts with Thumbnails